Optimal: an adjective meaning the best or most favorable. I like that word for several reasons. First, it speaks of being productive, not wasting time. Second, it speaks of making the greatest impact. And third, I like the word, “optimal,” because it sets a high bar.
This summer we rolled out a revised and refreshed vision: Learn the gospel, Love the gospel, Live the gospel. Question: Is there an optimal time, setting and opportunity to learn the gospel, love the gospel, and live the gospel? Well, first let me say that I believe anytime is a good time to learn the gospel, love the gospel, live the gospel. There isn’t a bad time.
But the question is, “Is there an optimal time, setting and opportunity to implement the vision into our lives? I think there is. I want to propose for your consideration that Sunday School provides the optimal time, the optimal setting and the optimal opportunity for people to learn the gospel, love the gospel, live the gospel.
Remember, the gospel is God’s plan to reconcile sinners to Himself for His glory and their good. The gospel has four parts: 1) Who is God? 3) Who is man? 3) Who is Christ? and 4) What is your response?
SUNDAY SCHOOL IS THE OPTIMAL TIME TO LEARN THE GOSPEL BECAUSE
- The entire family is involved, which means every age group is taken care of and has a place to learn.
- People are primed to learn. It isn’t called Sunday “School” by accident. Sunday School by its nature is a leaning environment.
- The Word of God is opened and people take in the Word.
SUNDAY SCHOOL IS THE OPTIMAL SETTING TO LOVE THE GOSPEL
- People are not in Sunday School because they have to be, but because they want to be.
- Sunday School provides a setting for people to share how God’s Word has impacted them throughout the week.
SUNDAY SCHOOL IS OPTIMAL OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE THE GOSPEL
- People have opportunity to serve one another.
- People have opportunity to show the love of God to the lost world.
- Sunday School provides an opportunity to invite lost folks to hear the gospel.
If you are not involved in a Sunday School class, you are missing out on one of the most optimal times for spiritual growth. There’s a place for you and your entire family on Sunday mornings after the worship service.
If you need help finding a class contact Pastor David or the church office (615) 886-1856.